Sim-on-a-Stick gets update

The easy-to-use Sim-on-a-Stick distribution of OpenSim has been updated to the latest version, supporting Bullet physics, variable-sized regions, profiles and other improvements.

Sim-on-a-Stick is a packaged version of the Diva Distro. If you’re upgrading from a previous version, there are some settings changes you may need to make. Read all about it here.

Related Posts'

Maria Korolov

Maria Korolov is editor and publisher of Hypergrid Business. She has been a journalist for more than twenty years and has worked for the Chicago Tribune, Reuters, and Computerworld and has reported from over a dozen countries, including Russia and China. Follow me on Twitter @MariaKorolov.

10 Responses

1.' Han Held says:

Glad to see it, I still recommend Sim on a stick to people who are new to opensim and want to check it out.

2.' Worry Wort says:

Maria Help!=)
    It’s been months since the new release of OS …but no update on Sim on a stick… while no reply’s thru email when attempts to contact them are made.
    Maria maybe you have a way to reach them?… soon we might be looking at another update then it will be 2 releases behind=(

3.' Lawrence Jones says:

Is this software abandoned ? please let the public know if it is . as of now its several releases behind Osgrid. people are having trouble with oarfiles not being compatible & even losing everything after thinking it backed onto everything. when it has not.

No future updates.can you look into it?

4. Ener?? Ener died?? :'( Oh gosh I hope thats a mistake 🙁

5.' Wolf Baginski says:

The big risk isn’t the old OpenSim version. The last version I have was still using the defunct and unsupported MOWES system, I’d already updated the Diva Distro element a couple of times, but I urge everyone to find something else.

Essentially, with no support for the supporting software, if you run this I can’t see any way of being sure your system is secure. If you can lock out external access with a firewall, you’re pretty unusual, and might be able to set up a more conventional OpenSim instance. There’s a good package, I know, for Linux, but I don’t know of anything that has the plug-in-and-go nature of Sim-on-a-Stick.

•' Arielle says:

Use the Outworldz installer by Fred then. It has more functions and capabilities then Soas does and is up to date with a choice of using .8.2.1 or the newer .9 version of Opensim.

•' Wolf Baginski says:

Thanks for the link.
        It is is Windows-only, so no use to me, but it does look good to fill the Sim-on-a-Stick niche.

There’s a general tendency for search engines to keep putting horribly old software in front of you when you’re looking for a fix.