Press Release: Finalists Named in International Serious Play Award Competition
SEATTLE â€“ A panel of experts have selected 20 games as finalists in the 2011 International Serious Play Awards, a recognition program honoring outstanding examples of corporate, military, health care and school/at home learning titles. The games will be featured and final winners and a Best of Show selected at the Serious Play Conference, Tuesday â€“ Thursday, August 22 -24, 2011 at DigiPen Institute of Technology in Redmond, Wash.
The award program received submissions from commercial organizations, seasoned and emerging development studios as well as students. This yearâ€™s entries included 13 international submissions.
Commercial Organization/Development Studio Finalists include:
- Air Medic Sky One, University Medical Center Utrecht, the Netherlands (Games for Health)
- Aircraft Marshalling Virtual Trainer, Heartwood Inc. (Government/Military)
- Virtual Reality Dome Controller, TNO Defense & Safety and VisionShiftStudios (Government/Military)
- Distraction Dodger, Web Courseworks (Education)
- Gamestar Mechanic, E-Line Media (Education )
- McGraw-Hill Education Practice Marketing, McGraw-Hill Education International (Education)
- MiddWorld Online Language Roleplay Game, Middlebury Interactive Languages (Education)
- Waterkeeper, First Nations Education Steering Committee (Education)
- RoboMath, Project Whitecard Inc. (Education)
- Game for Science, CREO (Games for At Home Learning)
- Virulent, Morgridge Institute for Research (Games for At Home Learning)
- Play True Challenge, World Anti-Doping Agency (Games for Good)
- Primaires Ã gauche, Le Monde (Games for Good)
- Fate of the World, Red Redemption Ltd. (Games for Good)
- International Racing Squirrels, Playniac (Consumer Game)
- Motion Math HD, Motion Math (Consumer Game)
- SpaceChem, Zachtronics Industries (Consumer Game)
- Emergency Birth, Engender Games Group Lab â€“ University of Wisconsin-Whitewater (Games for Good)
- Treadsylvania, New Mexico State University Learning Games Lab (At Home Learning)
- RiggleFish, Texas A&M University (Education)
The Serious Play Student Award was sponsored by Microsoft Corporation.
All commercial entries were also reviewed for Serious Play Certification, which assures that a serious game offers a high standard of performance. Certified games will be given Serious Play Certification and a 2011 Seal of Approval. Certification will be valid for three years.
Finalist entries will be on display at the Serious Play Conference. Attendees will have a chance to play the games and vote for the Best of Show award. Winners will be announced Wednesday, August 23 at the Awards Reception.
For more information, visitÂ www.seriousplayconference.com.