The total number of standard region equivalents dropped this month on OpenSim’s public grids due to a large cleanup of orphan regions on Metropolis.
The grid removed around 1,600 unused region reservation slots from its grid map.
The total number of standard region equivalents on the public grids is now 56,535, down about 1,100 from last month. The total number of registered users reached 542,076, a gain of more than 8,500 registrations, and the total number of active users was 34,784, up by about 300 from last month.
For those who are new readers, OpenSim is a free, open source virtual world platform that’s compatible with the Oculus Rift. It allows people with no technical skills to quickly and cheaply create virtual worlds, and then teleport to other virtual worlds. Those with technical skills can run OpenSim worlds on their own servers for free, while commercial hosting starts at less than $5 a region — compared to $300 a region for the same land in Second Life.
A list of hosting providers is here. Download the recommended Firestorm viewer here. And find out where to get content for your OpenSim world or region here.
When it comes to general-purpose social grids, especially closed grids, the rule of thumb is: the busier, the better. People looking to make new friends look for grids that already have the most users. Merchants looking to sell content will go to the grids with the most potential customers. Event organizers looking for the biggest audience… you get the idea.
DigiWorldz gained the most active users this month, 334, an increase of 25 percent. Virtual Brazil gained 191 for a new high of 505 actives – just short of making this month’s top ten list. The Great Canadian Grid gained 160 actives, Craft gained 128, and the Russian CyberFace grid gained 93, almost doubling its size to 192 active users.
Top ten most popular grids:
- InWorldz: 5,901 active users
- OSgrid: 3,871 active users
- Metropolis: 3,331 active users
- Great Canadian Grid: 1,786 active users
- DigiWorldz: 1,658 active users
- Island Oasis: 1,632 active users
- Craft World: 1,235 active users
- Kitely: 1,197 active users
- Lost Paradise: 1,070 active users
- YrGrid: 622 active users
- Logicamp: 583 active users
However, the hypergrid as a whole is beginning to function more and more like one large grid, with an increasing number of multi-grid events, communities, and groups.
The Adult Grid adds marketplace, forums
Since a change in ownership at the end of 2015, The Adult Grid has added a marketplace and forum, and redesigned its website and welcome center, grid owners announced in a press release today.
The maximum prim size has already been increased from 256 to 1,064 meters, and regions can now be paid for using the local grid currency, TAG Bucks.
Grids that have been suspended for more than two months will be marked as closed. If your grid isn’t on the active grids list, and not on the suspended list, and is marked closed when it shouldn’t be, please let us know.
And if there’s a public grid we’re not tracking, please email us at [email protected]. There’s no centralized way to find OpenSim grids, so if you don’t tell us about it, and Google doesn’t alert us, we won’t know about it.
By “public,” we mean grids that allow hypergrid visitors, or have a website where people can register for or request accounts.
May Region Counts on the Top 40 Grids
The list below is a small subset of existing OpenSim grids. We are now tracking a total of 1,158 different publicly-accessible grids, 304 of which were active this month, and 207 of which published their statistics.
All region counts on this list are, whenever available, in terms of standard region equivalents. Active user counts include hypergrid visitors whenever possible.
Many school, company or personal grids do not publish their numbers.
- OSgrid: 14440 regions
- Kitely: 11805 regions
- Metropolis: 4486 regions
- Atek Grid: 3543 regions
- Lost Paradise: 3417 regions
- DigiWorldz: 2035 regions
- AviWorlds: 1755 regions
- InWorldz: 1523 regions
- Virtual Worlds Grid: 1472 regions
- Great Canadian Grid: 1172 regions
- Virtual Highway: 717 regions
- Avination: 501 regions
- StarLight World: 403 regions
- 3rd Rock Grid: 368 regions
- The Adult Grid: 349 regions
- A Life Virtual: 348 regions
- ZetaWorlds: 342 regions
- Open Virtual Worlds: 320 regions
- Virtual Brasil: 307 regions
- Tangle Grid: 279 regions
- Loff Virtual Worlds: 273 regions
- FrancoGrid: 271 regions
- Littlefield: 261 regions
- Craft World: 239 regions
- Island Oasis: 230 regions
- DreamNation: 209 regions
- SirinHGpole: 206 regions
- Encitra Home Grid: 191 regions
- Grid Nirvana: 184 regions
- Anettes Welt: 179 regions
- Logicamp: 179 regions
- Genesis Project: 171 regions
- YrGrid: 171 regions
- GerGrid: 168 regions
- ZanGrid: 154 regions
- Neverworld: 149 regions
- Japan Open Grid: 145 regions
- Virtual Life: 124 regions
- Dorena’s World: 122 regions
- Nemesis 3D: 113 regions
- How to write a guest post for us - July 13, 2021
- Interested in getting voice, new viewers for OpenSim? Take this survey - July 1, 2021
- Free Vivox still available — for now — needs new plugin - June 9, 2021