Air Medic Sky One wins serious play award
Press release: Air Medic Sky One, from University Medical Center Utrecht, the Netherlands, Wins Best of Show at Serious Play Award Competition
SEATTLE – Twenty serious games were chosen by a panel of experts, as medal winners at the 2011 International Serious Play Awards, a program distinguishing superior examples of corporate, military, healthcare and school/at home learning titles. The winners were selected at the Serious Play Conference, Tuesday through Thursday, August 23 to 25 at DigiPen Institute of Technology in Redmond, Wash.
Air Medic Sky One, created by University Medical Center Utrecht, was awarded Best of Show.
The award program received submissions from commercial organizations, seasoned and emerging development studios as well as students. This year’s entries included 13 international submissions.
“Games for learning are moving onto every platform, from iPads to Smart phones,” said Clark Aldrich, conference director.
Commercial Organization/Development Studio Awards
Gold Medal Winners:
- Air Medic Sky One, University Medical Center Utrecht, the Netherlands (Games for Health)
- Aircraft Marshalling Virtual Trainer, Heartwood Inc. (Government/Military)
- Gamestar Mechanic, E-Line Media (Education)
- RoboMath, Project Whitecard Inc. (Education)
- Motion Math HD, Motion Math (Consumer Game)
- RiggleFish, Texas A&M University (Education)
Silver Medal Winners:
- McGraw-Hill Education Practice Marketing, McGraw-Hill Education International and Muzzy Lane SW (Education)
- Fate of the World, Red Redemption Ltd. (Games for Good)
- Play True Challenge, World Anti-Doping Agency (Games for Good)
- SpaceChem, Zachtronics Industries (Consumer Game)
- Emergency Birth, Engender Games Group Lab – University of Wisconsin-Whitewater (Games for Good)
- Treadsylvania, New Mexico State University Learning Games Lab (At Home Learning)
Bronze Medal Winners:
- Distraction Dodger, Web Courseworks (Education)
- MiddWorld Online Language Roleplay Game, Middlebury Interactive Languages and Muzzy Lane SW (Education)
- Waterkeeper, First Nations Education Steering Committee (Education)
- Game for Science, CREO (At Home Learning)
- Primaires à gauche, Le Monde (Games for Good)
- Virulent, Morgridge Institute for Research (At Home Learning)
- International Racing Squirrels, Playniac (Consumer Game)
- Devil’s Advocate, UCF Retro Lab (Government/Military)
The Serious Play Student Award was sponsored by Microsoft Corporation.
All commercial entries were also reviewed for Serious Play Certification, which assures that a serious game offers a high standard of performance. Certified games are given Serious Play Certification and a 2011 Seal of Approval. Certification is valid for three years.
For more information, visit www.seriousplayconference.com